How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27765
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a son in carroll county jail ... we have known

Customer Question

have a son in carroll county jail ... we have known emotionally not doing well ..... we got a phone call from one of his cell mates saying our son has been very lethargic and can barely walk all they have done is put him in a padded cell and he pleaded with us to do something for him... what can we do
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not he does not have a lawyer but has public defender who is worthless jail commander wont tell us anything
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he is in there on drug charges and will be there till January
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is over 18 and jail commander was not at liberty to tell us anything
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
also he had a infected tooth and became very sick after a month and a half of not getting anything done and being in constant pain they got him to a dentist and on an antibiotic
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.


I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will do and thank you sooooo much
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

If he has a public defender, he has a fully qualified lawyer who should know what to do in a circumstance like this and who has a professional obligation to work on his client's behalf. Reach out to the lawyer and apprise him of this. If the lawyer shrugs it off and he works for a public defender's office, call the office, ask to speak to his supervisor, and demand that his lawyer do something so this man gets the treatment he's Constitutionally entitled to.

An inmate has the right, under the 8th Amendment to the Constitution to adequate medical care and his failure to get it is considered cruel and unusual punishment which is prohibited by law. The prison doesn't have to give him the same level of care he'd get on the outside. But they can't turn a blind eye to a serious condition, either, and that goes for his mental health as well as his physical health.

If you can't get the public defender's office involved, the American Civil Liberties Union advocates all over the country for various inmate rights, including the right to necessary mental health and medical treatment. Contact the local branch in Indiana, and try to get them involved. They don't charge for their services,but if they have too much on their plate to handles this personally, they may be able to give you a referral to someone who can be of more use. Ditto, the local branch of the NAACP which advocates for defendants without resources whose civil rights are being violated.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.