Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Im in los angeles california, i missed my court of 9/6

Customer Question
Im in los angeles...

Im in los angeles california, i missed my court of 9/6 because i actually taught it was 9/8. I had to show progress report which i have, but now i have a warrant i called the clerks desk and they said show up before 8:30am today. Now my question is will they arrest me? I have to go to work. I dont know what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

California, 9/6

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im on my way to the court, but im afraid they will try to detain me. Is it possible to reschedule?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you for your patience. It’s impossible to predict with 100% accuracy whether they would actually arrest you. However, if you had a reasonable, but mistaken belief about the court date, then you can prove to the court that you did not intend to disregard the law. Of course, a judge may ignore this mistaken belief if you received any documentation about the court date. On the other hand, people miss court dates because they are mistaken on the date on the regular basis. Thus, if you show up on the day that you thought you were supposed to be there, then it is likely that the court will not want to spend its time and resources arresting you. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

I called the desk clerk yesterday and told them i mistook the dates from wednesday9/6 with 9/8 they told me to i have a warrant and to show up before 8:30 today. Im scared because i have to go to work by 9:30.

I can understand what you mean. What I would probably recommend is contacting your employer to explain to them that you have a very important court date coming up and that you would like to ensure that you’re not going to be fired as a result. It is likely your hearing may take longer than just an hour or two, especially in the LA area, traffic may make it take longer. Also, it is possible for the judge to withdraw the bench warrant as well if they don’t have any reason to believe that you are trying to abscond from the law. Did you have any other questions for me?