Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How much money will it cost to retain a lawyer for a intent…

Customer Question
How much money will...

How much money will it cost to retain a lawyer for a intent to deliver but the client also has priers

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Criminal Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

How about the actual defense would 10,000 cover it

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No he has public defender right now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just don't know where to start

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 11 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

How much a lawyer will cost depends on the amount of time the lawyer thinks he'll have to put into a case in order to solve his client's problem. They set their rates based on an estimate of how much work they'll have to do.

So it depends on what the client wants. If the defendant wants his lawyer to negotiate a plea agreement, $10,000 should cover it. If the defendant wants to go all the way to trial, it can be more than that, as the lawyer has to put in many more court appearances, file motions, conduct investigations, and prepare for hearings and the trial itself.

The best way to get a good ballpark estimate would be to contact your county's bar association, as rates also have to do with what the local population can afford. They can tell you what the average cost of representation would be to defend a criminal defendant all the way to verdict on a drug trial. in your area of Pennsylvania. I'd estimate upwards of $15K.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.