P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

Looking for attorney to help restore gun rights. Michigan. I

Looking for attorney to help restore gun rights.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so..

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a misdemeanor domestic charge which removes my eligibility for gun ownership permanantely. Is it possible to restore my gun rights in Michigan with this conviction?

Thank you
The problem you face is the federal law. The Lautenberg amendment is the federal law that provides persons convicted of domestic violence are prohibited from possessing a firearm.

If the goal is to possess a firearm, you have to remove the conviction. And at this point, the only want to accomplish that is through executive clemency (a pardon from the governor)

You can apply to the governor for a pardon...if it is granted, you would be again able to possess a firearm

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil