Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My daughter was convicted of a misdemeanor and we want to go…

Customer Question
Hi my daughter was...

Hi my daughter was convicted of a misdemeanor and we want to go to London for a week. Will she be able to go?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

She was convicted of a DWI in November in Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

She went to court already and is on probation until March 2018

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

It is extremely common that a person would not be able to leave the state while on probation without receiving express consent from their probation officer. Failure to get this authorization can result in probation being revoked and your daughter going to jail. As a result, you should reach out to her probation officer to see if they will agree to the trip.

The other option would be to file a motion for early termination of probation; however, this is a more complicated route and probably would require the help of an attorney to file the required motion.