How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1612
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was convicted of a misdemeanor and we want to go

Customer Question

Hi my daughter was convicted of a misdemeanor and we want to go to London for a week. Will she be able to go?
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: She was convicted of a DWI in November in Minnesota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: She went to court already and is on probation until March 2018
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

It is extremely common that a person would not be able to leave the state while on probation without receiving express consent from their probation officer. Failure to get this authorization can result in probation being revoked and your daughter going to jail. As a result, you should reach out to her probation officer to see if they will agree to the trip.

The other option would be to file a motion for early termination of probation; however, this is a more complicated route and probably would require the help of an attorney to file the required motion.