Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My car was stolen and re-sold. The police recovered the

Customer Question
My car was stolen...

My car was stolen and re-sold. The police recovered the vehicle but said I would have to go to court to get it back because it was re-sold with a salvage title. It has been sitting in the police impound until we receive a court date. IS THERE SOMETHING OR SOMEONE I CAN CONTACT TO GET THIS RESOLVED

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Houston Texas. The vehicle was stolen 2 years ago and they recovered it this year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I wasn't sure what type of attorney to hire.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We just had a major flood(Hurricane Harvey ) and now the truck was flooded while in their possesion

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Unfortunately at this point there's not much that can be done.

Since your car was stolen and then resold with a salvage title, the state prosecution will be interested in bringing criminal charges against the person who committed this theft.

The state does have the responsibility of establishing this person's guilt, and until then, it is standard procedure for the vehicle to be held in impound until a decision is made in the case.

I'm sorry to not have better news for you pertaining to the release of your car, but the good news is you will most likely be able to recover the value of your car and/ or the cost of any damages and repairs caused by the flooding while in impound via restitution payments from the criminal case.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thanks
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

You're welcome, no problem!

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. Best of luck to you, take care!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!