Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a misdemeanor warrant in arkansas for failure to

Customer Question

i have a misdemeanor warrant in arkansas for failure to appear on a obstruction of justice charge and i have an expired license in oklahoma and i need to renew it in texas and i was wondering if i could get my drivers license in texas since my license have never been suspended and the county in arkansas told me they are not willing to extradite
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: arkansas. it was issued in 2013
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i am applying for my disability so right now i can not afford one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, you cannot get a driver's license with an outstanding warrant. So while you can try to get a new license in Texas, if the clerk at the DMV checks the national database and finds the warrant he or she will send you home without one.

You will also not be able to obtain disability benefits with an outstanding warrant for any offense which could potentially subject you to prison.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.