Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a date for ARD Revocation for non payment coming up…

Customer Question
I have a date...

I have a date for ARD Revocation for non payment coming up and I wanted to know what to expect. I haven't been able to afford to pay on my fines due to being unable to find a job. I just made a $300 payment and plan to make one more before my court appearance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Can't afford one

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I owe $1300 and by the time I go to court it will be down to 700

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/7/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Typically, so long as you can demonstrate that the only reason you were not paying your ARD fees is that you are indigent and couldn't make ends meet, a judge will make some accommodation for you such as extending your period of supervision so that you can pay it off. The defendants who really have to worry when they are in your situation are the ones who have the money and are spending it on non-essentials and luxuries and just ducking the ARD fees.

Contact your lawyer so that he can help on your court date, ask him if you should bring in proof of your monthly bills and bank statement. It's not a crime to be poor, and the judge will know that. So long as that's the only reason you didn't pay and that you've now got a payment plan with fees you are able to meet, you should be okay.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD