Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

My friend was charged with evading and receiving stolen

Customer Question

My friend was charged with evading and receiving stolen property how much time is he looking at?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response!

Receiving stolen property can be charged either as a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the value of the stolen property.

If the value of the property is less than $950 it will be charged as a misdemeanor, which has a potential jail sentence of up to one year, and a fine of up to $1,000.

If the value of the property is more than $950 it will be charged as a felony, which has a potential jail sentence of up to up to 3 years, and a fine of up to $10,000.

Evading a police officer can also be charged as a misdemeanor or felony, and depends on whether your friend ran from the police on foot or in a vehicle.

If on foot, it would be charged as a misdemeanor, punishable by up one year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

If in a vehicle, depending on the details and extent of what happened it could be charged as a felony or misdemeanor. The misdemeanor penalties would be the same as listed above, and if a felony it would be punishable by up to 3 years in prison and/ or a $10,000 fine.

Your friend should look into hiring an attorney to represent him, as these charges carry the potential for some time in jail or prison and some hefty fines. If he can't afford an attorney, one will be appointed to him at his first court date.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!