Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was arrested back in July and a cop took my phone I told

Customer Question

Hello I was arrested back in July and a cop took my phone I told him when someone called to ask for a ride and when he called again to say he was ready I told the officer could look st the phone CALL LOG but that's it and he sent through my text messages as well as the call long and thenwebt to my house and arrested my boyfriend
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Iowa Got a warrant for the phone after he went through it
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not till tomorrrow
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They got a warrant after looking at the phone and a search warrant for home and office after that but still around the same time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

When your boyfriend fights his case he will be able to challenge the search of the phone records. If it the police overstepped their authority -- which it looks like it did -- then the evidence obtained should be suppressed. That would mean that the case would have to be dismissed.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.