Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I recently had a police officer take my phone because I had

Customer Question

Hi, I recently had a police officer take my phone because I had taken a video of someone in a private place. There was no nudity or anything but I am being charged with a class 1 misdemeaner. They want my permission to download everything on my phone or they said they would go through a warrant process
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: im in wisconsin and there has been no warrant issued
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no thats what im trying to do now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: um no i dont think so it happened todayh
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am so sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) What were you videotaping? Where?

2) Did the people who were being taped consent to being videotaped?

3) What happened? How did the police become involved?

4) What charge do you have exactly, i.e. voyeurism, etc?