Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son is incarcerated awaiting sentencing for drug charges…

My son is incarcerated...

My son is incarcerated awaiting sentencing for drug charges in Texas. he also has drug charges in Arkansas & Louisiana as well. the confidential informant who set him up for the Texas charges actually had sex with him during those times. He's an addict who sold drugs to feed his addiction. TX is giving him 20 years. He only has a public defender who is doing nothing for him. I can't afford to hire him attorney therefore I'm trying to obtain as much information I can before he is sentenced next month. I'm a desperate mother trying to save my son's life. He didn't murder anyone, rob anyone... he sold drugs. Murderers get less time than what they're throwing at him. Plus I've got to find out how to get his sentences run concurrently. ANY help will be so greatly appreciated.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TEXAS but he also has charges in Arkansas and Louisiana too

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He only has a public defender who will not return my calls I can't afford an attorney because I had to pay almost $19,000 for a bond he broke

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need all the help I can get in order to save my son from being lost in the system

9/5/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

How soon will I get information???

We only type so fast, so please be patient.

Actually, his sentence could potentially be run concurrent with the sentence in Texas, but this is solely at the discretion of the courts in both LA and AR. So you would need to get his public defender in LA and AR to seek to work out deals with the prosecutor in each of those cases to allow some type of deal and allow concurrent sentencing to run at same time as the Texas sentence.

As far as the length of his sentence, Texas takes drug trafficking as a serious offense which explains the lengthy sentences. As long as the sentence is within their guidelines, I am afraid the only thing your son can do and should do is file a post conviction relief motion and argue that based on the offense and amount of drugs involved that the sentence is overly harsh and seek a reduction from the appeals court. Many times the appeals courts will reduce sentences by at least 5 years sometimes more.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Can you please tell me about Texas laws concerning confidential informants. He has found out who set him up & admitted he had sex with her on several occasions (not knowing she was setting him up). Isn't there a law regarding having sex with CI's throws out the case?

Thank you for your reply.

There is no law about CI's in Texas other than the information from a CI may be used if found credible and verified. There is no law that having sex with a CI invalidates the case I am afraid, although it would be convenient in many cases if it were against the law.

He gets his info from other inmates & I didn't think that would help him. I thank you for the information you have given. I won't be charged anything else will I? I can't afford any other charges on my credit card. Just need to know there aren't any further $$ charged to me.

Thank you for your reply.

Inmates sometimes can be a decent source of help, but many times they give misinformation on the actual laws. You should only have the one charge from us, but you can double check with customer service, as the experts really do not know anything about what the site charges as they are independent users of the site like you are.