Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I jus received a letter today from customs with 5/6 choices…

I jus received a letter...
I jus received a letter today from customs with 5/6 choices too make. Two pair of shoes and 4 pair of sunglasses glasses from China. What do it do
9/2/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Are they claiming that you ordered knock offs? And are you wondering if you have to reply to the letter from Customs and what could happen to you?

If the shoes and sunglasses are counterfeit, even if you bought them for your personal use and not to resell them, they are contraband and you have no lawful claim to them.

The letter you got gives you several options and instructs you to select one and mail your decision back to the government. The fact is, however, that if you are not going to challenge the government because you know they are contraband and you will lose the hearing, you don't have to select any option or return the letter at all. If you just want to walk away from this, rather than to fight with the government to try to show why you think you're entitled to contraband, you can simply ignore the letter and absolutely nothing is likely to come of it.

You have a right under the 5th Amendment not to give evidence against yourself when it can incriminate you. By checking the "abandonment" option you are essentially saying that yes, this is yours but you are agreeing to give it up. That can potentially be used against you. If you do nothing at all, however, the government will consider the property abandoned anyway, but you will not have admitted having any proprietary interest in the shipment.

If you don't care whether you get these goods or not now that you know they are contraband, your exercising of your 5th Amendment right cannot be used against you. Once you fill out the form and return it, however, it potentially can be.

Don't let this ruin your weekend. The government is not going to show up at your door and arrest you for this. You just won't get the shoes and sunglasses you paid for. Contact the company and see if they will refund you.

If this isn't what you wished to know, reply here on this question thread and ask a followup. I'll be happy to expand my answer.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD