Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

How far I'm advance can a subpoena be issued before a trial?

How far I'm advance can...
How far I'm advance can a subpoena be issued before a trial? Can a subpoena be issued to a person who no one will provide his last name?
How is a subpoena served?
8/28/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

What is the jurisdiction?

California- Los Angeles

Hi again.

Subpoenas must be served at least 9 days before the hearing that the witness is supposed to attend. Also, the service must be done in person (not by mail).

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Thank u, how is it served by hand?
What happens if nobody will tell me the last name of a witness?

Hi again.

Yes, it is served by hand.

As for the name of the witness, that depends on who you are referring to when you say "nobody". I'm not sure who you believe should tell you.

The people who know him, who work with him, the police. Nobody will tell me his last name

Hi again.

None of the people that you described have a legal obligation to provide that information since they are not parties in the lawsuit. You can, however, depose them if you wish and learn who the witnesses are that way.

I had his boss on the witness stand and asked him. He said he did not remember his last name.

Well, if he doesn't remember, then there is nothing that you can do.

He lied

Hi again.

If you can prove that he lied, then you can ask the judge to sanction him, and order to respond. You can also ask the local prosecutor to charge him with perjury.

It was for a Restraining Order. He and this other person attacked and harassed me continuously. I could not get a RO on the other person because I did not know his last name.

Hi again.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you have any more questions about this situation?

I will go and ask the local prosecutor to charge him for perjury. The two r close friends and they hang out after work every day.

Hi again.

That is a reasonable plan.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney