Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was falsely accused of child abuse in 2013... Arlington,

Customer Question
Hi Pearl...My name is...

Hi Pearl...My name is ***** ***** I was falsely accused of child sexual abuse in 2013...

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Arlington, VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Most attorny's are saying nothing can be done...but this has affected my livihood...

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/22/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 10 months ago
Michael Gonzalez
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.Zevlin, I understand your frustration but there is likely no cause of action against the State or its prosecutors. These entities usually are immune from such lawsuits.A possible cause of action for malicious prosecution and/or abuse of process may be viable against the alleged victim and his/her parents if there was no evidentiary basis for the claims made.I am sorry that you have unnecessarily suffered damage to your reputation.
Thank you attorney González for responding. If there is a "POSSIBLE" way as stated in the 3rd paragraph, what is that process and how do I go about it?~Zevlin
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 10 months ago
The elements of an abuse of process claim are the existence of an ulterior motive and an act in the use of the process not proper in the regular prosecution of the proceedings. This would need to be proven against the victim or his/her parents. This is a civil suit against them. You would almost certainly need an attorney to succeed on such a claim.
Attorney Gonzalez,
Again, I thank you for your response. I like the fact that you have offered an alternative as most attorneys have just said nothing can be done. My question to you is, are there status of limitations for the elements of an abuse of process claim? If not, what and how do I begin this process. I would like to talk with you further to discuss retainer.Sincerely,
~Zevlin
Criminal Lawyer: Michael Gonzalez,
 replied 9 months ago
A malicious prosecution case generally needs to be filed within 1 year of the conclusion of the criminal proceedings.