How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1092
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just had a few questions regarding an accident I was in

This answer was rated:

Hi I just had a few questions regarding an accident I was in recently
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship.

I'm happy to help, do you have a specific question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was involved in a accident and did not have my license nor insurance information on me. It was only property damaged an my car had gotten totaled so I left it there but left the scene before police arrived. I didn't give the guy my name or anything but my insurance contacted me about the accident the next day so I'm assuming they looked my plates up. Should I be worried about being charged with hit an run? It's been about 2 weeks now

Did you report you car stolen?

Did you tell the insurance company that you had been in an accident or did you tell them that the car had been stolen or loaned to someone else?

As far as a possible criminal charge, yes you could be charged with Leaving the scene of an accident, with property damage.

The maximum penalty for this is up to 60 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $500. It is a misdemeanor offense.

The police are most likely still investigating this, and if your license plate was on the car, it shouldn't take them too long to locate you, and unfortunately yes, pursue criminal charges.

My recommendation would be to retain a lawyer to assist you with this. If investigators contact you, you should be careful what you say and remember that anything you say can in fact be used as evidence against you in court.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well to be honest I was never driving the car I had let relative use it. He then told me that he had his license revoked a couple weeks ago an shouldn't have been driving so I had already told the insurance company that I was so he wouldn't get in trouble an was hoping this would all be a quick and painless process i thought it was a simple fender bender. I was unaware that a police report was made an that he left the scene before they got there. I didn't want him to get in trouble but I don't want to face any criminal charges because of him. If I already made a statement to my insurance company that I was driving I wouldn't be able to change that would I? Or am I now stuck with this

No, you can't/ shouldn't change anything that you've told the insurance company because it's information that can be used by the police against you.

Hopefully they don't decide to pursue charges, as it's already been two weeks and no one has contacted you, it would have been relatively easy to locate you by using your license plate. If however the property damage was to city property, a guard rail or something of that sort, then you should expect that they will try to press charges, as the county will be seeking restitution for the cost of repair.

If nothing else was damaged except your car, then it's quite possible they may decide not to pursue the case.

I hope that helps!

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me (5 stars are always appreciated), thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you