Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My 5 year old son was accused of inappropriate touching of a…

My 5 year old...

My 5 year old son was accused of inappropriate touching of a girl in class. Child Services came out and informed us of the situation. They want an interview with my son. Can I be present

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Found out at 6 pm today, starting leaving messages to contact me. Most offices were closed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just I am very confused on the situation and what to prepare for

8/19/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

They cannot interview your son in your home without your consent. They will likely want to talk to your son without you to make sure you're not signalling him what to say. If they want to talk to him alone and you insist on being present, they won't conduct the interview. Either they will find him at school, where they can talk to him alone, or they will get a court order which would allow them to talk to him without you.

Zoey_ JD
Do you recommend legal counsel present at this interview. Does he need representation? Do we the parents need representation?
Phone call session started
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD