Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Second opinion] Can I be prosecuted for molesting a minor as

a minor myself. I'm now...
Second opinion] Can I be prosecuted for molesting a minor as a minor myself. I'm now 27
JA: Have charges been filed? What's the status of that case?
Customer: No. Told they will be filled just before my release from prison
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will inherent a large estate and would offer a financial settlement to resolve the matter. The secual acts were consensual
8/18/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Could you be prosecuted? Even though you were a minor at the time

Sure...IF there is evidence that would prove the case, beyond a reasonable doubt.

With you 27, I presume this happened 10 years or more ago...so in order to prosecute, the state would first have to have an interest in prosecuting you. Next they would need evidence.

The next issue would be the statute of limitations....in TN, the statute of limitations for childhood sexual abuse cases involving rape, sexual battery, or incest:

-If the abuse occurred before 7/1/1997: By the victim’s 18th birthday or within four years of the offense (which ever is later),
-If the abuse occurred between 7/1/1997 and 6/2006: By the victim’s 21st birthday,
-If the abuse occurred on or after 6/2006: Within 25 years of the victim’s 18th birthday.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer