Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was wondering what i might be able to do in this situation…

Hi there! I was...

Hi there! I was wondering what i might be able to do in this situation i find myself in. I recently broke up with an abusive ex boyfriend and he issued a no tresspass order for the grocery store he works at. But i literally did nothing but go in the store, buy dog food, and leave. what should i do? He is a manager there, but is that not abusing his managerial power for retaliatory purposes?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Vermony vermont*

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I havent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing much really, its not like i want to go to that store in particular, its just unfortunately the only one around for 4 or so hours oh, um, i just thought you might be able to tell me if what he did was legal or not?

8/18/2017
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Just to be clear, he himself, did this and sent you the notice? You never went into the store nor were the police involved?

I did go in the store, he called the police and had the paper filled out and gave it to me to sign. I didn't even talk to him, he approached me to let me know the police were on the way because he didn't want to see me there
I was hoping to get the no trespass order dropped or fight it if I can

Thank you for the reply. So the order / notice was issued by the police when they arrived or by him? I am just trying to understand if this was court ordered or just issued by him, that you can not go into or on store property.

The police were there for intermediary purposes more than anything, he as the manager of the store decided he didn't like that I patronized his store, called the police, and said that I wasn't welcome. As far as I know that's all he said to them anyway
I didn't want to make a scene, so I signed it and left the parking lot
He will let my friends enter, but not me

In a situation like this, a party would want to escalate the matter to the owner of the store or the corporate headquarters, if there is one. I say this because it has to be known and reported, that he is abusing his power as a manager and that there was no legal basis for him to issue the no trespassing warning or order. That he is acting outside the scope of his employment and authority and doing this as a result of something that is unrelated, to the use of the store and you as a customer. It is not a situation whereby you stole, were disruptive or did anything to harm the store or related to the store in any way. Ideally, they would lift/remove the order and allow you to shop there, if it can be shown there was no basis for him doing this. Moreover, you could go to the police and file a report for the alleged abuse and have him arrested and charged and you could likely ask that a restraining order be placed on him as well, if he wants to go this route.

That's great to hear, thank you. The police have been involved a few times before and I told them of the abuse but didn't press charges. He and my landlord were both doing drugs and at least one was selling them. I told the police that multiple times and they never did anything about it

You are welcome. They would need evidence of them in possession or using drugs, to make an arrest, so the allegation alone, would not be enough. However, as a victim of domestic violence, your testimony and statement to them, about what happened, could allow them to go after him, for this. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate your time and experience

My pleasure.