Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have been accuse of fraudering my Law lords name in a rent…

Good afternoon, I have...

Good afternoon, I have been accuse of fraudering my Law lords name in a rent receipt when in fact she did sign it. But she is saying that's not her writing and even called the cops on me. What steps can I take to prove my right?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

I am not sure if it has.. the cops did say there opening a case but I have not received any paper work.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

NYC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's pretty much it right now. Thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2017
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. What is the issue regarding the rent and signing of the receipt? Is she saying you did not pay rent and you are saying you did and she signed the receipt?

sir, she is saying I did not pay this month rent , but I have a receipt proving I did, and now she said that's not her writing when it is. She even called the cops on me and they have a case open . I am not sure of what because she has the paper work.

To me, this is a civil issue, not criminal, so I am not sure how/why the police would get involved. You are saying you paid and she is say you did not and you have a receipt and she is disputing it. I can not see why the police would get involved but if they decide to proceed and file charges, the burden is on the State, to prove them against you, beyond a reasonable doubt, at trial. If that happens, you could bring in a hand writing expert to testify that she did sign this and when she testifies, cross examine her. Moreover, if you paid her and can show the source of the funds, that would help your defense as well.

Correct I said the same thing to the cop.. the offer said he will have an open eye on me and if this is fraud I will do time. Assuming I am lying because the lady is an elder.

It could just be to scare you but this is a civil issue. It is not as though you took anything from her and it is your word against hers regarding the rent paid.

He never said who he was or even asked for my eye .. just said she called them and question me as if I did something wrong when she is the one who lost the money. I have no reason to lie I need my home for my family.

Yes, of course and if she tries to go the civil route and evict you for unpaid rent, you can defend this as well.

Okay thank
Thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

No problem thank you again.

My pleasure and I look forward to the positive rating above.

CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty