Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I got a public intoxication ticket after having a few drinks

Hello I got a public...
Hello I got a public intoxication ticket after having a few drinks and taking a sleeping pill. I woke up in the middle of the night and went outside and knocked on someones door
JA: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: Yes, I have to go in October, should I get a lawyer?
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: California
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wasn't trying to be a pain, i just lost my keys
8/17/2017
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I'm sorry to hear this happened. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Do these charges typically stick? The police officer told me it usually just goes away

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response.

In California, public intoxication is a misdemeanor offense.

It is punishable by up to 1 year in jail, a fine of up to $1,000.

That is the maximum possible sentence, other possibilities include probation, community service, educational classes, etc.

I cannot guarantee you that the charge "won't stick" but I can let you know that it depends on whether the prosecutor has enough evidence against you to prove their case -- and if the officer fails to show up in court (which happens OFTEN) the prosecutor will be forced to dismiss the case, as they cannot prove this charge without officer testimony.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer