Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was arrested in Oregon for criminal trespass I was

arrested for disorferly conduct 1...
I was arrested in Oregon for criminal trespass I was arrested for disorferly conduct 1 yr ago but that was reduced to a violattion what does this mean
8/14/2017
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

It means you will not serve any time in jail.

Prosecutors can reduce certain misdemeanors to violations, see

https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/161.566

The penalty for a violation is a fine, not jail.

As stated at http://www.courts.oregon.gov/Lane/CriminalandTraffic/Pages/Misdemean.aspx

"Violations are offenses for which a fine is the maximum penalty but for which there is no jail sanction. Some offenses classified as violations carry not only a maximum penalty but a mandatory minimum penalty."

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Attorney

Thank you for the positive rating!

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer