Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My daughter was subject to domestic violence and somebody

Customer Question
reported to police and he...
My daughter was subject to domestic violence and somebody reported to police and he was picked up by police. She gave a statement to police but don't think she filed charges, nor were pictures taken of her bruises. What does she need to do to move forward with pressing charges and get photos of her bruises?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Atlanta, georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: she gave a statement to police at the scene
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: it is her husband, but that is it
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/13/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
On a domestic violence case, the state is the victim and your daughter is reporting witness. She does not have to press charges, the state pursues charges and the police have to make an arrest. She needs to contact the district attorney who is handling the case and they will direct her. The police should have taken pictures if she was available and if they did not she needs to call the police station where the officers who handled the case are assigned and go in and speak to the detective there. Also, she needs to take her own pictures as well of the bruises.
If the police who handled the case or the detective at their station will not follow up, she needs to go over to the DA's office and they will assist her with the case.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer