Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was tried in a criminal case in 2011 for grand theft from…

Customer Question
I was tried in...

I was tried in a criminal case in 2011 for grand theft from my employer. My adjudication was withheld, I served 1 year in. Work release I am paying restitution and I am on probation. The company I worked for is now suing the corporate financial consulting firm that was overseeing the companies finances at the time I was terminayed. I was served a subpoena to appear for a deposition in this new case. Can I plead the fifth and not answer any questions?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Subpeona...I already explained

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
The new case is a civil case
The deposition is tomorrow at 10am
8/8/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Longhorn Lawyer
a witness in a civil case can plead the fifth to protect them from self-incrimination in a subsequent case. But it applies so long as the testimony could possibly lead to criminal charges. And you can't give a blanket 5th amendment response. It must be on a question by question basis. So you need to show up and then for each question that could lead to incrimination, you can assert privilege.Note that you can't be tried twice for the same crime. So if you are asserting privilege to protect you from charges you've already faced, it probably won't work. It's only for new, prospective criminal charges.I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.Thank you!
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer