Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a county attorney file charges on a juvenile that caused…

Can a county attorney...

Can a county attorney file charges on a juvenile that caused minor damage to personal property when the owners of the personal property are not filing charges? Especially when the minor admitted it to the owners and paid them for damages already. We are in Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing has been filed yet but the county attorney says he hasn't decided. restitution and apologies were already exchanged between the juvenile and property owner. damages were around $500.00

8/7/2017
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes. Once a crime was committed, county attorney has an authority and discretion when it comes to filing charges against the person who has committed such crime, regardless of whether the property owner / victim wants county attorney to file such criminal charges or not.

I wish you the best of luck!

I guess I don't understand why a DA would want to since , as I stated, juvenile admitted it to owners and made restitution. Police were never involved in the juveniles admission , he came forward to his parents about it and they notified the owners. The juvenile has no prior history or trouble.

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot guess as to why a county attorney would want to file charges in a similar situation, but the answer remains the same, such as, county attorney can in fact file charges, if probable cause exist that the crime was committed by a juvenile, regardless of whether the victim wants criminal charges filed or whether the juvenile had made restitution for any damages caused by the crime.

I wish you the best of luck!

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law