Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If my charge was converted from a felony to a misdemeanor,

how long do I have...
If my charge was converted from a felony to a misdemeanor, how long do I have to wait to seal it? Where my rights for voting, passports, and guns automatically restored? The charges are in Ripley County, Indiana, if that helps. My public defender was very vague with his answers.
8/7/2017
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Under Indiana law, a person who was convicted of a misdemeanor, including a Class D felony that has been reduced to a Class A misdemeanor, may petition to have their conviction records expunged five years after the date of the conviction. To be eligible, the person must not have any pending charges, must not have a suspended driver’s license, must have successfully completed their sentence, and must not have been convicted of any crime for the previous five years.

You don't lose your right to have a passport with a misdemeanor conviction with certain limited exceptions for certain drug convictions. Similarly, your voting rights are not lost with a misdemeanor conviction. Gun rights are not lost with a misdemeanor conviction unless again, you have been convicted of certain crimes, such as domestic battery.

OK, so because it was converted to a misdemeanor, misdemeanor rules apply? I never lost my rights because it was a felony theft charge, non-violent, first? That's awesome.

Correct. You didn't lose your rights when charged with a felony because you weren't convicted, so you still had your rights. And a misdemeanor conviction does not cause the same loss of rights (in most cases) the way felonies do.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you so much. Very appreciated.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer