Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I was charged with a dui due to a road check in Henrico

Customer Question

I was charged with a dui due to a road check in Henrico county. I blew a 0.12. This is my first charge with anything and I'm freaking out. I just need guidance on whats going to happen to me and how much money I can plan on spending. What things should I start doing now?
JA: In what state did this occur? Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Va..no I haven't
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm very sorry to hear about this situation.Based on information from a trusted resources, ”If for your first offense your BAC was less than .15, you will face a class 1 misdemeanor with penalties of:

• Up to a $2,500 fine;

• Up to 12 months in jail; and

• 1 year revocation of your administrative driver's license.

If you are convicted of a first offense for Virginia DUI, and your driver's license is revoked, you may be eligible for a Restricted Operator's License. According to the VA DMv, “When petitioning the court or DMV for restricted driving privileges, you must provide documentation to justify why they are needed. For example, a letter from your employer (on company stationery) would be needed if you are requesting restrictions to drive to and from work.”

Although I believe that usually people should not hire an attorney for most situations, it may be necessary to get one to help you figure out if there are any defenses that are available to you, such as any malfunctions in the breathalyzer or if the police violated your 4th/5th amendment rights.

Although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.