Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What's the charge usually for first offense petty theft in…

Hi... what's the charge...

Hi... what's the charge usually for first offense petty theft in Miami FL? What are my chances of not doing jail time given I am a single mother

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Criminal Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Have charges been filed? Is there a prior criminal record?

No prior, I'm not sure if charges were filed, the police gave me a PTA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was caught shoplifting from my employer. Macys. They made me sign documents and didn't give me access to any of purse or phone They said I wouldn't be able to leave if I didn't sign

8/6/2017
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What was the value of stolen merchandise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Alex, they have me on CCTV so I am guilty, it was $132.80 which they made me pay back and I did in cash. They made me sign documents acknowledging both petty theft / merchandise tag switching and retail refund fraud. I say they made me because I was told that if I didn't sign I wouldn't be able to leave. When I signed, the police came and I was patted down and given a PTA
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They did not give me access to my phone or a chacne to access my purse.

Thank you for your follow up.

First degree petty theft is a first degree misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000 upon conviction.

However, if this is defendant's first offense it might be possible for an experienced local criminal defense attorney to get the case dismissed on some type of legal technicality or might be able to get the first time offender into the deferred prosecution program, which is designed for the first offenders and as long as, the offender stays out of trouble for a set period of time (normally 6months-1 year) the criminal charge would be dismissed.

So, it is important to consult and retain an experienced local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible and this local criminal attorney can represent you in your pending criminal case.

You can find an experienced and skilled local criminal law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com

www.martindale.com

www.lawyers.com

www.legalmatch.com

When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to criminal law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter might be heard.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was stopped when I was already out the door and I had no unpaid or stolen merchandise in my possesion at the time. A man introduced himself and told me he was with security asked me to go back inside and asked me to open my purse. He took everything out in the middle of the store and then asked me to follow him to his office, where he instructed me to turn my phone off and put my purse behind the door. He then drilled me with questions and pressured a confession out of me with the promise that I would still be able to retain my job and that I would be forgiven if I paid for the items. I paid for the items and admitted my wrongs. He wrote a statement that disregarded everything I told him and yet I was told that if I didn't sign that I wouldn't be able to leave. And my 5 year old was out there waiting for me. When I signed, he took the payment and the police showed up.

Thank you for your follow up.

www.lexmundi.com

www.martindale.com

www.lawyers.com

www.legalmatch.com

I wish you the best of luck!

My answer remains the same.

Confessing to a crime or paying for the stolen merchandise is not a defense to committing a crime.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law