Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

Scenario. I'm a prosecutor working on discovery of a collar

Customer Question

Scenario. I'm a prosecutor working on discovery of a white collar crime. Law enforcement is blocking evidence that the public knows exists. How do i get access to evidence?
JA: Was a subpoena served regarding evidence? What was sought?
Customer: Subpoena was served but valuable parts were removed or redacted.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: District of columbia
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can a prosecutor proceed without a grand jury if enough evidence is found?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Yes, if a prosecutor feels they have enough evidence to try for an indictment they can proceed to the grand jury.

The issue of evidence being redacted or removed is a major issue. The prosecutor should speak to Internal Affairs and have an official investigation launched into whoever the officers are withholding information.

It's not only a violation of the officer's oath, it's also illegal and an obstruction of justice.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more. The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!