Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I got 5 years probation for back childsupport of a dna done…

Customer Question
I got 5 years probation...
I got 5 years probation for back childsupport of a dna done it judge added a year done it no problem. Than judge added. 5 more years.
Supervision does. This seem right can they keep adding years just cause its not paid in full make payment. Every month
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 11 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Ok waiting

Yes, unfortunately. This is done all the time with the balance of restitution payments or child support arrears.

When someone is indigent, payments must be set at an amount that a defendant can reasonably make. That means he frequently finishes his probation with a balance yet unnpaid. The US Supreme Court has held that when a person can't finish paying in time just because he is too poor to be able to do so, the court need not incarcerate him, but can make other arrangements. And so, they extend the term of probation.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Will know. In 20 headed that. Way let u know

Good luck! Keep me posted.