Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My ex boyfriend is trying to serve me with a restraning

Customer Question
order through police in ma...
My ex boyfriend is trying to serve me with a restraning order through police in ma. I said I would call the police and get an order against him . What he did is call me and say he would dot it first before me . I am not home but in Florida . My neighbors have told me the police have been to my house 3x times , banging and screaming to open the door. ( embarrassing)
Can the police continue to come to my house ? I am in another state what will happen . I have never had any legal issues or have a criminal record . The ex boyfriend was basically pissed I left him and he filed a restraning order , I believe . Can you please give me information on this matter ?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/5/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for posting your question on the law of civil restraining orders.

There are different types of restraining orders, do you have any information in relation to the order ?

Have you received notice of hearing ?

A restraining order is something that will show up on a police check so it would be in your interests to respond to a notice and hearing. You can phone law enforcement to let them know of your whereabouts.

Otherwise it is possible that an order will be granted without you being able to post any defense where the judge allow service of the hearing/ order by other substituted service.

SO evasion of service itself cannot of itself avoid this kind of action and the judge may allow alternative remedies and full execution of the order.

Please follow up with me on your question when you need additional info.

We are here to help.

In return remember to rate positively.

You do this by rating 5******, 4****, or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS today before exiting.

This gives me a credit for my time and assistance.

Best

Attorney Bill

I called the police department after reading your message. They said they are trying to serve me notice. They would not say what notice. They said they are just doing their job to call civil on Monday. He would not tell me on the phone what notice. i said i am away . he said to call i can even be served on the phone. he was rude and abrupt .

While you can't be served by phone; you can be served in person or by alternate service.

This would mean publication in a newspaper and certified mail to your last known address.

So strict avoidance of service is not something that can be in fact avoided but just delayed.

remember to rate positively.

Best

Attorney Bill