How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Bradley Your Own Question
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1078
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Michael Bradley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner found that I had contacted an ex, and slapped and

Customer Question

My partner found that I had contacted an ex, and slapped and shoved me out of rage. I left the apartment but did not report it. I called my friend, and she Facebook messaged my girlfriend, reprimanding her for hitting me and suggesting I commit suicide. My girlfriend replied, admitting that she had slapped me and "lost control." I have a screenshot printed of the entire exchange. Later, I returned home to show her my phone and talk, and when she wouldn't return my phone I attempted to retrieve it and she threw it. I retrieved it and left the apartment. We were both screaming. She filed a report claiming I grabbed her wrists and pinned her down (untrue). I returned to the apartment the following morning when she was gone, and the police came and arrested me. She has provided proof that she has a sprained wrist (I was unclear at my arraignment whether they are saying one or both), and I'm being charged with physical assault. I plan to provide the screenshot of her admitting that she struck me, but did not provide it at my 2nd arraignment because now, foolishly, I got my car from the parking lot of our apartment after my release, because a cop wasn't available for a civic standby for hours, and my girlfriend's mother (who is a legal point of contact for us under the no contact order), talked me into just getting my bags from my car since they were too heavy for her to carry down the street. I was sleep deprived and desperate to keep my job, and did so. So now, although I have a good bit of evidence to explain a sprained wrist (the meat of her hand near wrist struck my cheekbone, although there are no marks left), I am scared to use it because they might retaliate, and tell about the technical no-contact break. Is there anything I can do here? Should I provide this evidence?
JA: Have charges been filed? Is there a prior criminal record?
Customer: The only thing prior was a physical control (non-driving evidence of alcohol charge in 2012). At my second arraignment my paperwork says gross misdemeanor physical assault. Also, I forgot to mention, she has a text of me saying I was intoxicated when I returned and the phone thing happened.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Washington State
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of now.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.
The first thing you need to do is realize that this relationship is over. You can have absolutely no contact with this woman. Second, you need to get some rest. As you have found out now, you have solutely cannot function while you are sleep-deprived and you have now seen the problems associated with that as well too. You really need to obtain an attorney. I would suggest retaining a criminal attorney who can help you with all of these matters. If you cannot afford an attorney one will be appointed to you free of charge. If you cannot afford an attorney then you need to fill out an application at the public defender's office as soon as possible. From what you are saying, you do have some valid defenses with regard to the charges that have been lodged against you. I would absolutely show this evidence to your attorney prior to showing it to the police. I would also make a police report with regards ***** ***** first incident in which you or hit by her. Especially since you have evidence that she admits to that incident occurring. After your attorney has an opportunity to create a valid timeline of all the incidences that occurred they can craft a valid defense for you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am terrified to risk facing the consequences of breaking a no-contact order (see above). I am not willing risk that for anything. I'm not going back to jail if it can be helped. It seems like the best case scenario if I filed the charges would be that (a) my assault charges are dropped, and then (b), they say I broke no contact, and I go down even harder.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also, if I'm issued a public defender (I have), can I request to talk to them prior to my Sept 1sr pre-trial meeting (which happens right before court)?