Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I accidentally bumped a parked car in an ice rink parking

Customer Question

I accidentally bumped a parked car in an ice rink parking lot last night, Im pretty sure there was just some paint swapped, no dents or anything. I didn't have a pen and paper, had to get on the ice, and by the time I could come back outside a couple hours later, the other car was gone. It is the next day but still within 24 hours. Will I be ok if i go to the police station and give them my information?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: Massachusetts. It happened last night around 5:30pm
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no don't have money for one
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Honestly, someone in your situation may wish to simply do nothing. It is unlikely that there is any evidence or camera or witnesses of it being your vehicle.

Even if it was, you did not get the other person's information. If you go to the police, the police may not even know what to do with this since the actual "victim" is not known. They would likely tell you to wait until/unless the other party contacts you and let the civil court handle it.

In short, this is a non issue and should be treated as such.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. It does not cost anything extra to rate. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The ice rink was on the college campus and there is a camera in the parking lot, although being that it was not in the first row, I do not think the camera would have had a great view.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Okay. You can go to the police. However honestly, they are unlikely to do anything. Worst case scenario, they will take down your information so if someone files a police report later, they will know it was you. If you are doing this to avoid feeling like someone is going to accuse you of a hit and run, I understand. And it may be worth it for the emotional calm to do so. But understand that there is a risk of essentially making yourself liable for a ticket if they do match you up.

I wouldn't do anything, but I understand that for peace of mind, you may wish to. But know that worst case scenario, this is likely a ticket, NOT a hit and run criminal charge.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it sounds like my best option is to simply leave it be? I have two weeks of work left at that ice rink, so if i see the car i scraped again, leave a note; if not, don't do anything?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am out of state as well
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Correct. Simply leaving it be would seem to be the best, ***** ***** conclusion. You being out of state does not change that.