Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is there a live person to answer my question? CT, No, My…

Customer Question
Is there a live...

Is there a live person to answer my question?

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex-boyfriend had me arrested for packing my own kitchen knives I was in the process of moving out Facing larceny charges.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/4/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

What is the value of the knives? What's happened in your case so far? And do you have proof that the knives belong to you?

About $250. No proof, they were purchase in 2006, so I don't have bank records Called Williams & Sonoma and my bank I called the police for a second time that night. My boyfriend burst into the guest room in the middle of the night. Ironically, I was s on the phone w/ domestic violence hotline. police wanted me to leave house I finally agreed if he would pay for hotel He refused Police came upstairs while I was packing and asked me to come downstairs Was arrested for larceny . Booked, arraigned, protectiveorder issued barring me from house.

Thank you. How awful.

In order for them to convict you, they have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you stole the knives and that they didn't belong to you. You will be able to testify that you bought the knives in 2006. If you have any friends who can testify when you bought the knives, that would help, especially if you weren't living with your ex in 2006.

Anyone who overheard the two of you talking about the knives, who can testify that you were the one who cooked, anything like that, would be helpful. You have a right to defend yourself.

Once the charge are dismissed, you may be able to sue him for maliciously filing a false police report. Part of your damages would be the cost of hiring a lawyer to defend your case. So, if don't have a lawyer yet, you may want to consider getting one. For people who can't afford a lawyer, the state has to appoint one at no cost if jail is even a remote possibility, no matter how unlikely.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer