Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I keyed a car and they have video proof. Can I go to jail or

Customer Question

Hi I keyed a car and they have video proof . Can I go to jail or are there other alternatives
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet . I wanted to see my different alternatives first
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They don't exactly have proof yet , supposedly the person was going to go pick up the surveillance video in 2 days , I don't know if she is just bluffering or if she is serious
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

While this can be a misdemeanor or a felony depending upon the amount of damage to the vehicle, it is typically possible to avoid a jail sentence on a case of this kind if you wanted a plea offer. Probation with restitution to the complainant for the damage to the car is the most common way a case like this would get resolved.

The complainant may have been bluffing about the video to see if you'd own up to it. You'll know soon enough.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.