Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I sent for my tags in the mail and didn't get them back. My…

Customer Question
I sent for my...

I sent for my tags in the mail and didn't get them back. My license is suspended and they took my car. I don't even know why my license was suspended.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was a citation issued? Has a court date been set?

Yes but I'm very sick and I was coming back from a blood infusion. I have ten or so more appointments and the date isn't till September 1

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Madison AL

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all I know. I called the court but they are in session

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/3/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.

If the citation was for driving with a suspended license, often times the judge will allow you a continuance -- in which time you can fix the underlying issue, reinstate your license, and show the judge the matter has been corrected.

The judge will often times then dismiss the charge against you for driving with a suspended license.

In order to get this done, you'll need to contact the DMV to find out what was the reason for the license suspension. Perhaps it was an unpaid ticket you may have forgotten about.

You can contact your local Madison AL DMV at this number during regular business hours:

****

Once you find out the cause of the suspension, you should be able to get all fines and fees paid online and have your license reinstated -- you can then present the DMV clearance letter to the judge.

You'll find these links useful:

http://www.mystore411.com/store/view/24559167/DMV-Madison

https://www.dmv.com/al/alabama/dmv-office-city/madison

My recommendation would be to have a local defense attorney represent you in this process. One will be needed to help make sure your car is returned from impound to you, and that everything runs smoothly and fairly in your case.

If you cannot afford one, the court will provide you with a Public Defender at your first scheduled court date. They would be qualifies to help you with everything I mentioned above.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!