Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My daughter's ex is out on bond for misdemeanor evading and…

Customer Question
My daughter's ex is...

My daughter's ex is out on bond for misdemeanor evading and also for felony criminal mischief. same crime, different courts and dates. The last court appearance for misdemeanor, they "canceled" and "passed". not sure what that means. He has court again on Aug 10th for misdemeanor. He is out on bond...misdemeanor, $4000...criminal mischief, $25,000. He has since caught another case for stalking my daughter and there is currently a warrant for his arrest in a different county than the previous charges, with a $40,000 bond set. What can we expect?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?

TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

As to what?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/3/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Typically, you can expect that if on August 10th the DA is aware of the other warrant, he will be taken into custody on his court date. New bail will be set on the older case so that he gets credit for the time, and transported to the other county for the stalking matter. Though different counties are involved, in my experience the prosecutors in each county will be aware of the other case and will be in touch.

I would not be surprised if, under all the circumstances, the defendant fails to keep his August 10th date. If he knows that the authorities are looking for him, there's no better place for him to be found than on his court date.

A question such as "what can we expect?" is general and vague, so if my answer doesn't address what you wanted to know, please reply on this question thread with a follow-up and I'll be happy to enlarge my answer.

assuming all goes like it should, he will be arrested if he shows up to court, due to the new charges? Will they revoke the bond on the current charges in that county? Just so you know, if he does show for court and gets arrested due to new case in other county, this will be the 3rd time that bond has been revoked for previous failure to appears. This will also mean he has 1 misdemeanor evading case, 1 3rd degree felony criminal mischief case, and now a new 3rd degree felony stalking case. Will they impose a no bond on any of this by chance?

If you want to ensure he'll be rearrested, your daughter could let the DA handling the older case that he's now facing new charges for which he's got a warrant out against him, just in case they haven't gotten the word.

The more he does something like this, the more difficult his bond conditions will be. The court could set high cash bail only, with no bond alternative. It would not be unreasonable, nor would it be unconstitutional.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD