Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

During my Bench Trial in Federal Court on a misdemeanor

charge of Simple Assault, I...
During my Bench Trial in Federal Court on a misdemeanor charge of Simple Assault, I testified in my own defense.
I would have made a more aggressive defense, but I thought certain points were best left for my lawyer's Closing Arguments.
Specifically, there were inconsistencies between the Police Report and the Plaintiff's and Police testimonies that would have
weakened the Prosecution's case.
Unfortunately, there were no Closing Arguments. I understand the lawyers can agree to waive Closing Arguments, but
I was never informed. The Judge made no mention of them in announcing his decision or at any other time during the Trial
and neither did my lawyer.
Aren't there supposed to be Closing Arguments in a Federal Bench Trial? And if there aren't any, shouldn't I have been
informed that there would be none?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/2/2017
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Opening and closing arguments are not evidence. Evidence is what is put out there on direct and cross examination through witnesses on the stand. You cannot raise facts not in evidence in a closing argument, in any case. It would be objected to and you'd be stopped from making the point.

Typically with bench rather than jury trial, there's no need for closings, or closing can be as simple as, "The state did not meet its burden and I ask that you acquit my client."

The judge is a lawyer and trained to evaluate evidence. He can make the necessary connections and see for himself whether the state has proved all of the elements of the crime charged beyond a reasonable doubt.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD