Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Someone online is threatening to expose personal/nude

Customer Question
Hello, someone online is threatening...
Hello, someone online is threatening to expose personal/nude pictures of me. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/2/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, eligible to practice in front of state and federal court, who is ready to help. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here to see my ratings information) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm very Sorry to hear about your situation that is terrible. You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Also, depending on your state there are probably laws against disseminating this kind of information. If you click here, you can quickly see whether your state has a law against this and what the nature of that law is. These would be criminal actions upon which you could make your claim in your cease-and-desist letter.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as you have opted out the previous contributor.
Did you have additional questions that were not answered?

Hello, I am not really sure what to do. I'm afraid that the person will show my nude photos to everyone I know. The person is from Florida USA, and I am from Canada British Columbia. He threatened to expose me on twitter, facebook, and instgram. He said if I deactivated that he took screenshots of all my friends so he can still expose me. He also keeps asking me for gifts, for compensation for the time he wasted. He first threatened me stating he would expose my pictures if I didn't block some people that he called his "enemies." I blocked them, but then he continued to say he was going to expose me. He made an account on twitter called p****** he keeps saying that he will expose me. I don't want that to happen. But I also I do not want to pay him. At first he just told me to block specific people. But even after I blocked those people he continued to say he would expose my pictures. I've sent in some screenshots. I'm afraid, and very worried, and unsure about what to do.

What he is doing is called extortion under FL Statute 836.05 and it is a criminal offense. You would need to contact the police in FL in the city where he is located and file a criminal complaint against him and seek their assistance in this matter, since he is looking for something of value to stop him from causing you injury to your reputation.
In addition to filing the police complaint, since police have discretion as to whether or not to pursue criminal charges to the district attorney, you would also need a local attorney in FL to file suit against him for threats and harassment and seek a court order to prevent him from exposing the pictures and from further harassing you and to make him surrender any pictures he may have of you.
Those are your only two legal options I am afraid, as once you send pictures to someone, you lose control over what they do with them and since he is trying to blackmail you your only options are the police or civil suit to stop him.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.