Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was cited with possession of marijuana and use or

Customer Question
I was cited with...

I was cited with possession of marijuana and use or possession of drug paraphernalia in Santa Rosa. I currently live in Albuquerque which is almost 2 hours away. I pleaded no contest, but have not signed the papers. Would I be better off going to the court date and pleading not guilty? Also should i get a public defender? I can afford 1000 dollars for a private lawyer, but can seem to find one in Santa Rosa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And to clarify, can you tell me what paperwork has been filed?

It

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

It's in New Mexico and I have the citation and also called the judge who sent me paper work for a no contest plea. They said if i don't sent it in today i have to be in court tomorrow by 10 for my court date. Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a 1st offense. I told the police I had Marijuana and a pipe. They also cited my girlfriend with the same charges, but she pleaded not guilty over the phone.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/2/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Van, Retired Judge replied 6 months ago
Van
Van, Retired Judge

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I may be able to help you with this issue. If you go to court on tomorrow the court will likely appoint a public defender to represent you. I don't think it is ever a good idea to handle a criminal matter over the telephone. I highly recommend that you drive the two hours back to New Mexico. Please keep in mind that whatever happens with this court case will follow you for life on your criminal record. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Van
Van
Van, Retired Judge