Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

About 2 years ago I got in trouble for shoplifting in Kansas

Customer Question

About 2 years ago I got in trouble for shoplifting in Kansas City. I found myself back on hard times and I shoplift again. The first time I got a deferment so this time I don't know what to expect. The amount was $57 and I was just wondering if you had any advice on this.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No just happened today
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Since the amount stolen was less than $1000, this would be classified as a class A misdemeanor.

That means it is punishable by up to one year in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines.

The deferment program is a one time opportunity for a first offense ONLY, so unfortunately you won't be eligible for that again.

Keep in mind that even though the maximum penalty in one year, there are other options that a judge has such as probation, community service, writing a letter of apology, etc.

Alot depends on the specific facts of your case, whether the state has strong evidence against you, and the leniency of the judge.

My recommendation would be to hire a local defense attorney to represent you and make sure that all possible defenses are raised on your behalf; however if you can't afford one, you will fortunately get a court appointed public defender assigned to you at your first court appearance.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!