Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Last month my daughter got caught shoplifting at Target in…

Customer Question
Hello. Last month my daughter...
Hello. Last month my daughter got caught shoplifting at Target in California. She's 20 years old with no criminal history. The items totalled $500. Security said they cut her a break and didn't call the cops. Daughter signed a paper and had her picture taken. Today (a month later) she received a civil demand.
I'd like to know the likelihood that they will still file any charges after the fact?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty replied 11 months ago
CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. The civil demand is very common. If they did not call the police at that time, it is unlikely they will do so and try and report this. However, to avoid this from possible happening, she may want to consider just paying the demand and resolving this, instead of refusing to do so and forcing them to file a civil suit. Moreover, there is nothing preventing them from still calling the police, so she needs to be aware of that, in regard to how she will handle and respond to the civil demand.

OK. What about the time she takes to pay it. It said 21 days from the date on the letter. She's going to pay it on that 15th day. Would that matter or should this be paid as soon as possible?

As long as it is paid within the time that they request, there should be no issues. Moreover, if she needs additional time, she should contact them as well, so they knew she intends to do so. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!