Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was told by a Ct police officer that a judge signed off on…

Customer Question
I was told by...

I was told by a Ct police officer that a judge signed off on a warrant against me for a misdemeanor in the 2nd degree with a bond of 200,000

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the exact charges? Is this a first offense?

None in the first degree, breach of peace and harassment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes what happens next

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

How was it that a police officer told you about this? What did he want you to do?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
By telephone, he told me a judge signed it 8 days ago and that if i entered the state of Ct I would be arrested. I live in Fl

Thank you. Please give me a few minutes to compose and type a full answer to you.

If you do absolutely nothing, there will be a warrant out for your arrest if you enter the state of Connecticut. You can avoid Connecticut, but the warrant could cause collateral problems. Connecticut will not come to Florida to find you and bring you in, nor will they extradite you if you're stopped for any reason by a police officer elsewhere in the country. States don't go to that kind of trouble on misdemeanor charges. But knowledge of it could surface when you least want it to, such as with an employment background check or when you go to renew your driver's license and cause you problems.

Warrants don't expire. The only way to get rid of it is to turn yourself in on it and deal with the criminal case that you're wanted for. That, of course, would be the other alternative you have, though you can expect to sit in on bond if you do, unless the court is willing to reduce it at your arraignment.

If you're inclined to address the harassment charge, the way to do it would be to first contact a Connecticut attorney who could do what he could to broker a voluntary surrender and to expedite you through the system so that you could get a more reasonable bond set.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.