How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nisha Jones, Esq. Your Own Question
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1065
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nisha Jones, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a home in a gated retirement community, my roommate is

Customer Question

I own a home in a gated retirement community, my roommate is my live in housekeeper/caretaker. He made a stupid mistake and was charged and convicted of indecent exposure. They made him register as a sex offender. He has paid all his fines, completed his community service and is seeing a counseler weekly as ordered by the court. They called him yesterday and said he had one week to move because of a Home Owner Association next to our property has a park in the area. We live over 2 miles from this park. What advice can you give me?
JA: Have charges been filed? Is there a prior criminal record?
Customer: He has already completed everything for court. He has paid all fines. He was sentenced to 1 year probation for indecent exposure. Nothing related to children.
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I've reviewed your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Your roommate should be fine to remain at his residence, considering that you are over 2 miles from the park.

Texas law prohibits registered sex offenders from living within 500 feet of parks or certain other areas. It appears that your friend is well over the required amount of distance.

If the HOA has asked him to move, he'll need to file an objection, or write a counter letter citing the law I mentioned above and the fact that he is within the legal boundaries.

If for some reason the HOA still objects, he may need to hire an attorney to represent him against the HOA and get them to comply with all HOA by laws and TX state laws.

But yes, under state law he should be fine remaining at your residence.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!