Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

What is the statue of limitations in georgia for high school

Customer Question

What is the statue of limitations in georgia for high school booster club embezzelement?
JA: Have charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: No charges, someone thinks they have knowledge and might turn me in
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

The criminal statute of limitations on a Georgia misdemeanor is two years from the incident or when the incident might have first been reasonably discovered. On a felony matter, the statute of limitations is 4 years. If the amount embezzled was more than $500, the matter would be a felony charge.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could it be up to 7 years? I have read this somewhere.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

No. Only crimes punishable by death or life imprisonment in Georgia have a 7-year statute of limitation or crimes where the victim was under the age of 18.

Here this is a high school booster club, but I would argue that it is the organization from which the money was taken and not the children themselves.

You can see the Georgia criminal statute of limitations here.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.