Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I put a GPS tracking device on my tenant's car. He owes me…

Customer Question
I put a GPS tracking...
I put a GPS tracking device on my tenant's car. He owes me rent and is moving. I wanted to know where so I could go after him for the rent. I got caught - he found it. This is in Mississippi.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
In Mississippi it is only generally legal to use a GPS tracking device if:You or your organization own the vehicle or asset to be tracked. You or your organization own the asset that might be taken without your permission. Your children (under 18 years old) are the focus of the tracking. You are tracking a car or asset for the purpose of legal repossession in the event of a default on a loan.It's illegal to use a GPS tracking device if:You are not the owner of the car and do not have the legal right to track it as outlined above.So, no it is not legal to install a tracking device on a car of your tenant.
I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.