Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Recently I filed a claim with Geico and I didn't realize but

Customer Question
Hello JA: Hi. How can I...
Hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Recently I filed a claim with Geico and I didn't realize but when I filed the claim for what was vandalism the insurance wasn't active so this is what happend , on the night of 18th my car was vandalized and my claim wasn't active till the 19th I filed a claim and didn't realize that it wasn't active , I had an investigator call me and say I commuted fraud when I simply didn't realize that my insurance wasn't active so they gave me the choice to withdraw , am I in trouble ? This was a total misunderstanding
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the fact that I didn't remember much the night that happend and I feel like they are making me feel like I'm at fault
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
The investigator said that I have the choice to withdraw the claim and that was on a recorded line , I decided to do that. So In summary , I filed a claim without realizing that my claim didn't start till the 19th and someone vandalized my car 8 hours before the 19th, they told me that they were suspicious of fraud and I have the option to withdraw the claim. What does this mean?
I'm a 23 year old student who cannot get anything on my record , I never had any intention on getting a investigator calling me , nevertheless being accused of commiting "insurance fraud", I simply misunderstood the fact that my claim wasn't active when I filed the claim.
8/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. However, I am assuming that you meant to say that you filed a claim for vandalism on the day before you had insurance coverage. In other words, when you say "...that my claim wasn't active when I filed the claim..." since that doesn't make since from an insurance perspective, that you meant to say that your insurance coverage wasn't active when you filed. If that is not what you meant to say, please let me know by clarifying your statement.

In any event, no one can guess with accuracy what the insurance company will do with their presumption that you were trying to commit fraud. However, since you did not receive any money from them, it is highly unlikely that they will file a criminal complaint with the State.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to discuss the law as it relates to your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 1st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer