Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a friend who has a Felony II charge for larceny in

Customer Question
the state of Rhode Island...
I have a friend who has a Felony II charge for larceny in the state of Rhode Island. He has had a clean record for 7 years. I was wondering what are his options as of right now. He is trying to find a better job but due to this it has been hard. Does he currently have any options?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 3 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Has he only just been charged or has he been convicted of this larceny?

He was already convicted.

Unfortunately, he cannot get this offense expunged from his record in Rhode Island. That means there are only two ways that he could possibly minimize the negative effects of his felony conviction.

The first would be for him to petition the governor of his state for a pardon. He can find out more about the process here.

The other would be to retain a lawyer and have him file a petition to reopen his case and to ask the judge to dismiss it in the interest of justice.

Judges have the power to dismiss a case under their powers of equity, even if the law won't provide for the dismissal. They are very cautious and sparing in their use of this power, and some will refuse to entertain a petition on these grounds at all. But others will do it to prevent an injustice.

He would need to talk to a lawyer about bringing the motion. The lawyer will have to draft it essentially showing why the law under which your friend was convicted should be ignored in this case. There may be opposition from the prosecutor. So he might want to get some free or low-cost consultations to get a sense of how likely this is to work in his jurisdiction before paying a couple of thousand dollars to a lawyer to try to get this done.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD