Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am the victim of blackmail. What are the laws in Georgia…

Customer Question
I am the victim...

I am the victim of blackmail. What are the laws in Georgia regarding blackmail. To provide a brief explanation of what occurred: a person who was forcibly dating me; I say forcibly because the individual was in a 24 year marriage with young kid, however forced the affair to continue with me because of allegations of having contracted an std. The individual did not provide proof of having contracted the std from me; nonetheless wrote up a settlement agreement demanded to be sole beneficiary on all my assets and threaten me with reporting me to my job on ethics violation. The affair began in May 2016. I broke it off end of March 2017. On 4/11/17 I receive a text that I will be reported to my job because of the std and alleged ethics violations. This person then sent a letter to the attorney general alleging that I use certain vendors because of receiving chikfila football tickets and invitations to concerts at chastain park in addition to other allegations. The actions by this person was precipitated because I broke off the affair. I wanted to end it as soon as it started, however this person accused me falsely and at the time I believed the false allegations. Would the false allegation upon which she wrote up an agreement and demanded to have all my assets assigned to her also constitute a criminal act? Please let me know. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. He said to file a police report for blackmail

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This person has also called my 403b investment company impersonating me to obtain my account information. Audio tapes of the calls have been provided to me. Is impersonating someone to obtain this information a crime in Georgia.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
8/1/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I'm reviewing your question, please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Again I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What is commonly referred to as blackmail is known under Georgia criminal law as theft by extortion.

From what you described above, it sounds as though this individual is definitely guilty of having committed theft by extortion.

You should report this to either (1) the local police, OR (2) the state attorney's office.

Sometimes people prefer to go to the prosecutor's office directly if they feel that the local police may not handle their case with the proper due diligence it deserves, or if they feel the police simply may not be knowledgeable enough in a particular area.

The decision is up to you, but those are 2 options you have for reporting this crime that's been committed against you.

It is a serious offense, in fact it is punishable by anywhere from 1 to 10 years in prison.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more.The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Criminal Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 11 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns.

Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!