Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Case law interpreting sec 99-3-28 of miss code. Miss. If the…

Customer Question
Case law interpreting sec...

Case law interpreting sec 99-3-28 of miss code

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Miss

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If the statute is no followed is that grounds for dismissal after an indictment has been returned

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Criminal Law
7/31/2017
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 6 months ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

This matter was taken up in State v. Delaney in 2011. The holdiing indicates that the hearing is not mandatory and that the indictment does not have to be dismissed when the statutory procedures are not followed. A probable cause hearing is unnecessary when a grand jury has returned an indictment.

You can read the case here.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD